Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Asphalt shingle roofing (composition roofing) is the most popular type of roofing material for a variety of reasons:
- Durability for the price
- Multiple colors and styles
- Cost of maintenance (minimal)
What is Asphalt Shingle Roofing?
Asphalt shingles are made with an organic paper base or fiberglass mat base (for reinforcement) that is saturated with asphalt for waterproofing. The shingles are then covered with ceramic granules to protect the asphalt from the sun’s UV rays, and also to add visual appeal (the ceramic granules give shingles their visual color).
Although organic shingles contain the name organic, that is only due to the recycled paper material used. Organic shingles contain around 40% more asphalt than their glass fiber counterpart. This makes them weigh more and gives them excellent durability and blow-off resistance.
Asphalt Shingle Styles
There are three different types of asphalt shingle roofs – 3 Tab, Laminated, and Premium.
- 3 Tab shingles are an economical choice and meets all general roofing and fire resistance standards. 3 Tab shingle roofing usually comes with a 20-25 year warranty.
- Laminated shingles have an additional layer of tabs that make the shingles thicker and give them a more dimensional look to your roof than a 3 Tab shingle would. Laminated shingle roofing has a warranty for 30, 40, and 50 years.
- Premium shingles are the most durable shingles with more visual definition than laminated shingles. Premium Shingle Roofing comes with a 50 year or lifetime warranty.
There are many manufacturers of asphalt shingles. Each manufacturer offers comparable styles, colors, and warranties. At Palm Springs Roofing, we have experience installing all brands and types of asphalt shingles available on the market today.
Roofing Manufacturers we use: